Rachel Glaser is the Chief Financial Officer at Etsy, an e-commerce company with a unique focus on offering handmade and vintage products and supplies. She has over 30 years of experience serving in senior executive roles within finance departments at several well-known brands such as Leaf Group and Move, Inc as well as serving as the Senior Vice President of Operations Finance at Yahoo and The Walt Disney Company. At Etsy, she is responsible for overseeing the global financial operations for the company and was recently elected to the Board of Directors of The New York Times.
Rachel joins me today to share how having a brand-first approach helped her accelerate her career and climb the corporate ladder while being a working mother. She explains how focusing on empathy impacted her personal and professional life, why having a brand-first approach to working with various companies was an important factor to her when deciding to transition into new roles or companies, and the lessons she has learned as she transitioned from one role to another. She also explains the importance of focusing more on “the vital few” projects within your organization and less on “the worthwhile many” and how it can impact your company’s growth and brand trajectory.
“There is no glass ceiling. There is nothing out of reach.” – Rachel Glaser
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- How her parents focus on empathy impacted her professional life.
- How she balanced and advanced her career while raising children.
- The impact of cultivating a broad skill set has had on her career.
- How she transitioned from a CFO role at Disney to a VP role at Yahoo.
- Lessons she has learned during her career transitions.
- The impact of having clear, trustworthy communications with others.
- How shifting the Etsy culture to focus on accountability impacted the company’s ability to achieve massive milestones.
- The impact of shifting your focus from “the worthwhile many” projects to “the vital few” projects can have on your growth and trajectory.
- How to shift your focus to one key accountability factor.
- Building and fostering loyal followers.
Rachel Glaser’s Advice for Fierce Feminine Leaders:
- Realize your experience is valid, important, and unique to you.
- Remember that you have a team around you. Try to shift from being the doer of things to being the influencer or leader of things.
- Have conviction.
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “Reach inside yourself and realize that your experience is valid.” – Rachel Glaser
- “Trust in your experience. Know that you probably know more than you think you do.” – Rachel Glaser
- “If you really believe in something – you should own it.” – Rachel Glaser
Dial Up Your Impact, Influence, and Income in 2018
Are you ready to take your leadership and influence to the next level in 2018? Join the Impact & Influence Leadership Lab for Women with Eleanor Beaton – the world’s premier leadership training and implementation program designed specifically for female leaders! This is a 8-week mentoring program for professional, ambitious women in business who are ready to take their leadership skills to the next level and truly step into their power. Visit the Leadership Lab for Women website to see all of the amazing content, tools, and services you will receive by registering today to claim your seat at the table!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/discover.