Vidya Narayanan is the CEO of UrbanAMA, an Ask-Me-Anything video platform where they take audio-visual interactions to the next level. Being part of the mobile evolution, Vidya worked at Motorola, Qualcomm, and Google where she led a team of 30 engineers and has issued 50 patents with 100 more pending applications.
Vidya joins me on today’s’ episode to share some of the key factors that helped her develop confidence in making her voice heard at the table which led her to be a powerful voice and advocate for women in tech. She also shares the significance of being able to spot and overcome failure as a leader, what compelled her to create an app that’s both visual and interactive despite the popularity of existing social media platforms, and why it’s crucial and necessary to talk about diversity in technology at a young age.
“The most important thing is to make sure that we hear all the ideas being presented, be respectful in both directions, and that our voices are heard.” – Vidya Narayanan
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- Vidya’s career journey from Motorola to Google
- What gave her the courage to ask managers for clarity on what she would be working on
- The skills she learned from leading a mostly-male team and having male mentors
- Effective strategies for making your voice heard
- What gets in the way of spotting failures
- How she personally copes with setbacks
- What is UrbanAMA
- Why we need to address the problem on diversity
- The right time for children to learn about diversity in tech
- What inspired her to be a great voice and advocate for diversity in tech
- What she thinks was missing with social media and the problem she wanted to address
- What made her decide to start her business
Vidya’s Advice for Fierce Feminine Leaders:
- Be persistent, but learn to walk away from something that’s going to fail.
- Learn to spot failure. Look at failure positively. Turn it into something that will cause you to move forward more successfully.
- Know what is just good enough because, at times, great can be the enemy of good.
Connect with Vidya Narayanan:
- UrbanAMA Website
- I’m An Ex-Google Woman Tech Leader And I’m Sick Of Our Approach To Diversity! Article on Medium
Find Your Voice. Change Your World!
Do you want to be a confident, influential leader that others highly look up to and promote in your industry? If you aspire to have your voice and your message heard as a respected influencer, do not miss this 3-day leadership retreat Your Million Dollar Message: Find Your Voice, Craft Your Strategy, Change the World that’s happening on March 23, 2018 in Phoenix, Arizona! Grab your tickets today by registering at YourMillionDollarMessageRetreat.com.
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/Discover.