Sramana Mitra is a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, business strategy consultant, and the founder of One Million by One Million, a global virtual accelerator aiming to help 1-Million entrepreneurs around the world reach $1-Million in revenue and beyond. She is the author of the Entrepreneur Journeys book series as well as the Vision India 2020 and Billion Dollar Unicorns books. As an entrepreneur and CEO, she successfully ran multiple businesses, including Intarka, DAIS Infotech, and Uuma, Inc. and holds a master’s degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from MIT.
Sramana joins me today to explain what “unicorn businesses” are and why entrepreneurs need to stop chasing these unicorns. She shares the formula that she believes makes up a successful business, why over 99% of venture capital deals are typically rejected when seeking financing, and the parameters your business needs to meet to be considered a “fundable business.” She also explains the difference between a “real entrepreneur” and a “pseudo-entrepreneur” and why she believes smaller, profitable businesses should be celebrated.
“We are trying to create fortune in the middle of the pyramid. We do not believe that excess is a requirement for success.” – Sramana Mitra
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- The impact that growing up in India had on her success and career.
- What prompted her to start her current company.
- Why over 99% of entrepreneurs seeking venture capital financing for their companies are rejected.
- Factors that must be present to receive venture capital funding.
- Challenges associated with presenting an alternative, controversial opinion and framework to venture capital funding.
- How she helps entrepreneurs with funding announcements.
- What are “unicorn businesses?”
- How Silicon Valley’s views of entrepreneurs and entrepreneurship have evolved over the years.
- The difference between “real entrepreneurs” and “pseudo-entrepreneurs.”
- Why technology is becoming an oligarchy and how it impacts entrepreneurs.
- How she finds time to feed her intellectual appetite, analyze trends, and be a thought-leader.
- Economist Magazine
Sramana Mitra’s Advice for Fierce Feminine Leaders:
- Surround yourself with smart people who are deep thinkers.
- Read publications that will give you a broad view of what is happening in the world.
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “Venture capital is an optional tool of building a business.”
- “I think $500,000 a year is a success; $1-Million a year is a success; $2-Million a year is a success because all of those are really difficult to do.
- “Building a business is very difficult to do. Building a profitable business is very difficult to do and whatever scale people are comfortable and successful doing it at needs to be celebrated.
Connect with Sramana Mitra:
- One Million by One Million
- Billion Dollar Unicorns book
- Entrepreneur Journeys book series
- Vision India 2020 book
Triple Down on Your Personal Brand
Are you ready to grow your business, increase your impact, and build a powerhouse personal brand? Learn how to build a powerhouse personal brand that can help you open new doors of opportunities for your business and career. Grab our free whitepaper: 7 Unconventional Strategies to Build Your Personal Brand. Head over to EleanorBeaton.com/Brand to grab your copy of this powerful whitepaper and begin your journey to impact the world!
Dial Up Your Impact, Influence, and Income in 2018
Are you ready to take your leadership and influence to the next level in 2018? Join the Impact & Influence Leadership Lab for Women with Eleanor Beaton – the world’s premier leadership training and implementation program designed specifically for female leaders! This is a 8-week mentoring program for professional, ambitious women in business who are ready to take their leadership skills to the next level and truly step into their power. Visit the Leadership Lab for Women website to see all of the amazing content, tools, and services you will receive by registering today to claim your seat at the table!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/discover.