Tall Poppy Syndrome, what is it? It is a social phenomenon throughout the industry, often affecting women – but sometimes men, too – in which great people of merit are criticized or resented because of their achievements. Tall Poppies often “play small” because they are worried that they will be criticized for showing up in the world as brilliantly as they really are. The term, “Tall Poppy Syndrome” was coined by New Zealand Researchers, and many women in business unconsciously allow it to affect their business growth. In this episode, I explain three ways that Tall Poppy Syndrome is preventing you from stepping into your power as a female leader.
3 Ways Tall Poppy Syndrome is Preventing You from Being
a Powerful Female Leader
- Tall Poppy Syndrome makes you self-conscious
- Research shows that self-consciousness inhibits high performance.
- Tall Poppy Syndrome can hold you back from accepting high-profile assignments
- Own your brilliance!
- Tall Poppy Syndrome can prevent you from building a powerful personal brand
- Tall Poppies often hold back from highlighting their achievements.
If you are a Tall Poppy, know that you are not alone!