Do you ever notice yourself forsaking your personal health and happiness in order to please other people? Perhaps you go into work on a day that you’re not feeling well. Thousands of smart, professional, fierce feminine leaders simply grit their teeth through personal discomfort, illnesses, anxiety, depression, and stress under the assumption that they need to in order to be successful in their job, career, or business.
Ladies, it’s time to follow the lead set by the successful actress and music artist, Selena Gomez. Recently, Selena decided to make a bold decision to cancel a series of concerts, essentially clearing her schedule for the rest of the year, so that she can focus on her health and happiness.
Selena is at the top of her game, but she cleared her calendar due to being diagnosed with Lupus and the associated psychological affects – depression, anxiety, and severe stress. In a recent media statement, she said:
“I want to be proactive and focus on maintaining my health and happiness and I decided that the best way for it is to take time off. I know that by sharing this, I hope it will encourage others to address their own issues.”
Despite the negative media attention this has caused and the angry fans this has riled up, I applaud Selena for making such a bold decision.
So, what can we learn from Selena Gomez and how can we develop the courage to be equally bold in our business and career?
Here’s a Breakdown of Today’s Show:
- Research shows that women experience significantly higher levels of workplace stress than men.
- Harvard Business Review Research published a study on “stereotype threat” – defining it as occurring when a woman is aware of the stereotype that women perform poorly compared to men at given tasks. As a result, she fails to perform up to her ability.
- Simply knowing about a stereotype threat can cause a woman to become subconsciously apprehensive about confirming the stereotype – leading to a reduction in cognitive ability, impaired concentration, and increased stress and anxiety.
My Challenge to You:
- Spend time noticing when and where you forsake your health and happiness out of a desire to please other people and be more successful.
- Think about whether you need to make a bold move in your life or career.
- Be inspired by the actions of Selena Gomez
Are you ready to be more courageous, focused, and FIERCE this Fall?
Are you interested in stepping into the Fall season with more courage, more focus, more direction, and more fierceness?
We would love to help you!
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible.
Love the show? Let us Know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know!
Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!