Lia Diagnostics was co-founded by Bethany Edwards and Anna Simpson, who met while completing the University of Pennsylvania’s Integrated Product Design Program. Both with undergraduate degrees in artistic subjects, the two have created a Fast Company’s 2018 World Changing Ideas Award winner – the Lia pregnancy test. The Lia is a disposable, biodegradable and completely discreet pregnancy test. It’s FDA approved, over 99% accurate and set to change the world of early pregnancy diagnostics.
Bethany and Anna join me to discuss their journey, from concept to conception, and how thinking outside the box inspired the creativity and innovation that ultimately led to the development of the world’s first flushable pregnancy test. They share their joint belief system, their love of learning and how they influenced an industry that has remained unchanged for decades. They also explain the trials of working in manufacturing and the challenges they faced when approaching investors and funding circles.
“It’s not about perfection in the beginning.” – Bethany Edwards.
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- The issues with current pregnancy tests.
- How their childhoods influenced their entrepreneurial spirit and ingenuity.
- Their own experience in the fields of science and math as lacking in female representation.
- What the Lia test is and why it’s different.
- The circumstances that brought Bethany and Anna together.
- The experience of committing to the process.
- Thinking about who’s in the room and why your product matters to
- How the diagnostic industry, and other industries, are changing and innovating.
- Key challenges in their journey.
- How to become a more persuasive speaker.
- What they look for in employees as they level up.
- What’s next for Lia.
- Their life lessons and key pieces of advice.
Bethany & Anna’s Advice for Fierce Feminine Leaders:
- Surround yourself with people who can teach and support you.
- You never know where inspiration might come from. Learn from everything.
- Curiosity is a powerful driver. Lead with questions.
- Personal connections make a difference. Show up!
- Do not stop learning and keep leveling up.
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “Benefit from being from being different and know that there is a benefit in being different from the status quo.” – Bethany Edwards
- “Being an entrepreneur is truly a lifestyle.” – Bethany Edwards
- “If you don’t know what to do next, just do something!” – Anna Simpson
Connect with Lia:
Five Reasons You Didn’t Get Promoted In Your Job
Are you tired of being passed up year after year on landing the promotions of your dream? You have amazing ideas that can completely change the trajectory of your business, but somehow, you’re not achieving your next level of success and getting the next promotion that can impact your career and help you break through your glass ceiling.
If this sounds like you, join me for a 60-minute training on the five key reasons many women are often overlooked for career-advancing promotions. You’ll also learn why and how feminine ambition and drive can often be misunderstood or misinterpreted and how it can impact your promotability.
Visit EleanorBeaton.com/Promotion to learn more and register for the Five Reasons You Didn’t Get Promoted in Your Job free, 60-minute training.
Grab Your Ticket to the Power. Presence. Position. 3-Day Workshop!
Are you ready to ramp up your leadership skills, have more confidence in your instincts, cope with criticism and lead with conviction? Are you ready to unleash your inner-CEO and authentically position yourself in a category of ONE?Join me in Toronto, Canada on November 2-4 for the Power. Presence. Position. Workshop – the 3-day workshop designed to help you up-level your power, presence, and position within your business or organization.
Join the Exclusive Incubator Program!
Are you ready to build, leverage, and scale your business to the next level? Ready to maximize your leadership skills and grow your business to 7-figures and beyond? Join our Incubator Program – the 12-month high-octane program that blends leadership strategy, accountability, and business building support to help you propel your business to the next level and increase your earning power. Head over to EleanorBeaton.com to learn more about The Incubator Program and submit your application today!
Dial Up Your Impact, Influence, and Income in 2018
Are you ready to take your leadership and influence to the next level in 2018? Join the Impact & Influence Leadership Lab for Women with Eleanor Beaton – the world’s premier leadership training and implementation program designed specifically for female leaders! This is a 8-week mentoring program for professional, ambitious women in business who are ready to take their leadership skills to the next level and truly step into their power. Visit the Leadership Lab for Women website to see all of the amazing content, tools, and services you will receive by registering today to claim your seat at the table!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/discover.