Andrea Mallard is the Chief Marketing Officer at Athleta, an ethical apparel brand recognized for their yoga wear and clothing line designed to inspire women and girls to reach their full potential. Andrea received her bachelor’s degree in International Politics and English Literature from Queens University in 1999 and her master’s degree in Media from the London School of Economics in 2001 – graduating at the very top of her class at both schools. After graduating college, she began working with IDEO, Omada Health, and, later, held a seat on the Board of Advisors for the German company, Unu Motors.
Today, Andrea shares how to incorporate creativity into your business and the power of failure. She explains the critical nature of maintaining a “beginner’s mind” despite your level of success and how to find the advantages lurking within unexpected situations. She also shares her thoughts on personal branding and why she thinks you shouldn’t focus on building your personal brand.
“A good idea is doomed to be a good idea forever, but a bad idea has the chance to be great.” – Andrea Mallard
Today on the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast:
- How her childhood shaped her character as a leader.
- The importance of maintaining a beginner’s mindset despite your level of success.
- Her “lost year” experience and why she considers it as one of the best and most important years of her life.
- The importance of being deliberate in your choices and decisions throughout your life and career.
- How to turn unexpected situations into your secret weapon.
- Building credibility based on your self-awareness.
- How she maintains resilience through challenging situations or experiences.
- How to let go of the fear of other people criticizing you.
- Using your failures as a valuable learning tool.
- The importance of owning your mistakes and sharing them with others.
- How sharing her mistakes and being vulnerable has impacted her team’s performance
- The fundamental problem of creating a distinction between analytical thought processes and creative thought processes.
- The power of being assertive.
- What inspired her to start working with Athleta.
- Fundamental business lessons she has learned.
- Why she believes the first six months are critical as a leader in a new organization.
- Why she doesn’t believe in building your personal brand – and what you should do instead.
Andrea Mallard’s Top 3 Success Strategies for Fierce Feminine Leaders:
- Seek and give feedback and build trust with the people you are working with.
- Have a sense of humor.
- Always be willing to go the extra mile. Build to think. Don’t stay too long in strategy. Roll up your sleeves to create something just to help you think through it.
Fierce Leadership Quotes:
- “You need to take the time to have a beginner’s mind. You need to start back at question zero, no matter what you’re doing, no matter how much you think you have empathy or intuition.” – Andrea Mallard
- “Don’t worry about being perfect. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Don’t be afraid to admit what you don’t know.” – Andrea Mallard
- “People fail all the time. That suggests they are taking risks; they are working, they are pushing.” – Andrea Mallard
Connect with Andrea Mallard:
Triple Down on Your Personal Brand
Are you ready to grow your business, increase your impact, and build a powerhouse personal brand? Learn how to build a powerhouse personal brand that can help you open new doors of opportunities for your business and career. Grab our free whitepaper: 7 Unconventional Strategies to Build Your Personal Brand. Head over to EleanorBeaton.com/Brand to grab your copy of this powerful whitepaper and begin your journey to impact the world!
Grab Your Ticket to the Power. Presence. Position. 3-Day Workshop!
Are you ready to ramp up your leadership skills, have more confidence in your instincts, cope with criticism and lead with conviction? Are you ready to unleash your inner-CEO and authentically position yourself in a category of ONE? Join me in Toronto, Canada on November 2-4 for the Power. Presence. Position. Workshop – the 3-day workshop designed to help you up-level your power, presence, and position within your business or organization.
Dial Up Your Impact, Influence, and Income in 2018
Are you ready to take your leadership and influence to the next level in 2018? Join the Impact & Influence Leadership Lab for Women with Eleanor Beaton – the world’s premier leadership training and implementation program designed specifically for female leaders! This is a 8-week mentoring program for professional, ambitious women in business who are ready to take their leadership skills to the next level and truly step into their power. Visit the Leadership Lab for Women website to see all of the amazing content, tools, and services you will receive by registering today to claim your seat at the table!
Love the show? Let us know!
Are you a fan of the Fierce Feminine Leadership Podcast? If the tips and interviews we share in each episode have helped you gain the confidence and inspiration to become a better, more powerful leader, head on over to iTunes, subscribe to the show and leave your honest review to let us know! Each month, one lucky podcast reviewer will be selected to receive a free coaching session with me – Eleanor Beaton!
What are you waiting for? Head on over to iTunes, subscribe and leave a review to enter your name into this month’s drawing!
And, if you really want to ramp up your fierceness…
Reach out to us for a free 30-minute Bold Women in Business Makeover Session with me or one of the fabulous coaches on my team!
Explore your path and discover how you can be the fiercest lady-boss possible. Visit EleanorBeaton.com/discover.